When Kanye West premiered The Life of Pablo Thursday afternoon, one particular lyric made headlines: “I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex / Why? Because I made that bitch famous,” he raps in “Famous.” Afterward, Taylor Swift said through a rep that she was never made aware of the actual lyric — but West claimed otherwise in a series of tweets Monday morning.
“I did not diss Taylor Swift and I’ve never dissed her,” he first posted. He went on to say that he “called Taylor and had a hour long convo with her about the line and she thought it was funny and gave her blessings.”
“I’m not even gone take credit for the idea… it’s actually something Taylor came up with … She was having dinner with one of our friends who’s name I will keep out of this and she told him … I can’t be mad at Kanye because he made me famous!” West wrote.
The lyric is referring to the famed moment when West stormed the stage at the 2009 Video Music Awards after Swift won Best Female Video. “Yo, Taylor, I’m really happy for you, and I’mma let you finish,” he famously said as Swift stood nearby in shock, “but Beyoncé had one of the best videos of all time.”
West and Swift later publicly made up. She hasn’t yet responded to his latest series of tweets, which you can read below.
This article originally appeared on EW.com
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement