The man seems to have collapsed – left behind by the crowds of Bernie Sanders supporters after a Feb. 8 campaign event in Manchester, N.H. The scene, captured by Landon Nordeman for TIME, is eerie and symbolic of the mounting fatigue following the onslaught of images we’ve been subjected to since the start of the primary season – and it’s only been two weeks. In this particular photograph, however, the man is just looking for something he dropped at the Palace Theater.
This week, New Hampshire, where Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders stunned the political establishment, takes central stage in our selection of the best political photographs.
TIME’s selection of the Surprising Political Photographs of the Week is published every Thursday.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time