Investigators are still stumped on how to unlock the encrypted cellphone of one of the San Bernardino shooters who killed 14 people in California last year, the head of the FBI said Tuesday.
The device may help officials better understand why Syed Rizwan Farook and his wife Tashfeen Malik opened fire at a holiday party for county employees at the Inland Regional Center in December. It would also unveil communications the couple had before they were killed by authorities after the attack.
“We still have one of those killer’s phones that we haven’t been able to open,” FBI Director James Comey said at a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing, according to USA Today. “It’s been over two months now. We are still working on it.”
- The Biggest Moments From the Second Republican Debate
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- Death and Desperation Take Over the World's Largest Refugee Camp
- Right-Wing's New Aim: a Parallel Economy
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time