Lady Gaga kicked off Super Bowl 50 with a performance of the national anthem dressed in a custom sparkling red Gucci suit and matching eyeshadow.
Gaga called the gig a “dream come true” in an interview with the NFL’s Nate Burleson that was published earlier this month. “I’ve always wanted to sing the national anthem at a major sporting event since I was a little girl,” she said. “And for it to be a Super Bowl…it is the ultimate.”
She joins a long list of pop stars—including Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey and Christina Aguilera—who have had the honors of singing before kickoff. Last year, Idina Menzel performed the song.
The performance kicks off a big month for Gaga: she’ll perform a David Bowie tribute at the Grammys on Feb. 15 and sing at the Oscars on Feb. 28 as well.
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now