Larry David spoofed Bernie Sanders’ narrow loss to Hillary Clinton in the Democratic Iowa caucuses in a Saturday Night Live skit where David plays the Vermont senator and accidentally upsets a small group of voters.
In the Curb Your Enthusiasm-style sketch (called Bern Your Enthusiasm), Sanders is irritable and turns away voters, including one woman who coughed into her hand before extending it for a handshake. David refuses to shake it, saying the woman was being rude by offering a “germ-infested hand.” “I am running for president. I don’t shake disgusting hands,” David says, angering her entire family.
Later in sketch, another female voter spots David right after she gets into a car accident and asks him to pop her dislocated shoulder back into place. She says she’s on her way to vote for him and needs his help if he wants her vote. “I don’t want it that bad. I’m from Brooklyn. We don’t pop in Brooklyn. I’m sorry,” David says before running away.
David-as-Sanders finds out he lost the Iowa caucus by about five votes as the small group of people he angered flashes on his television screen wearing spiteful grins and Clinton supporter T-shirts.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State