An Italian actor who was strangled in a hanging scene during a performance has been pronounced dead.
The family of Raphael Schumacher, 27, has authorized doctors to harvest his organs, CNN reported, citing Cisanello Hospital in Pisa.
Schumacher was part of an interactive experimental theater production that allows audience members to walk through scenes taking place in different parts of the theater. One of the audience members realized the noose around Schumaker’s neck was too tight, and he was taken to the hospital.
Two directors and two stage technicians are now being investigated for manslaughter in his death, according to the Italian news agency ANSA.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement