Forget six degrees of separation. Facebook says your friends are much closer to you than you thought.
The average pair of Facebook users has just 3.57 degrees of separation between them, the social media network said Thursday in a new study.
In the United States, that number is more like 3.46 degrees.
“Over the past five years, the global Facebook community has more than doubled in size,” Facebook said in a statement.
“This is a significant reflection of how closely connected the world has become.”
The social media network, which counts 1.59 billion users around the world, is celebrating its 12th birthday Thursday.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer