By Google, the top spot among the world’s most valuable public companies. The market capitalization of the search giant’s parent company, Alphabet, briefly surpassed that of Apple after a better-than-expected quarterly earnings report.
To be purchased for $43 billion in cash, Swiss pesticide and seed giant Syngenta. The buyer is chemical company ChemChina. If the transaction is completed, it will mark the largest foreign takeover by a Chinese company to date.
His sixth Australian Open championship, by Novak Djokovic. The No. 1–ranked male tennis player defeated No. 2 Andy Murray in three sets and tied Roy Emerson’s record for the most men’s singles titles at the tournament.
By Cindy Crawford, one of the highest-paid supermodels, that she will retire from modeling after she turns 50 on Feb. 20.
Terry Wogan, 77, veteran BBC Radio personality who hosted the U.K.’s most popular morning radio show, Wake Up to Wogan.
Benoît Violier, 44, chef at the Restaurant de l’Hôtel de Ville in Switzerland, which had three Michelin stars and was ranked No. 1 on France’s list of the 1,000 best restaurants in the world. Police believe it was a suicide.
This appears in the February 15, 2016 issue of TIME.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time