After her narrow win in Iowa, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton sat down with TIME’s Joe Klein to take stock of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination.
James Nachtwey photographed the cover story, capturing Clinton posing for selfies with supporters and campaigning with former house representative Gabby Giffords and astronaut Mark Kelly at the Winnacunnet High School in Hampton, N.H.
“My work has been devoted to documenting the effects that decisions made by policy-makers have on people at ground level, in the real world, far from the halls of power,” says Nachtwey. “It was a thought-provoking experience to document the grass-roots process by which the chief policymaker in the U.S. is chosen.”
James Nachtwey is a TIME contract photographer, documenting wars, conflicts and critical social issues.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears