After her narrow win in Iowa, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton sat down with TIME’s Joe Klein to take stock of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination.
James Nachtwey photographed the cover story, capturing Clinton posing for selfies with supporters and campaigning with former house representative Gabby Giffords and astronaut Mark Kelly at the Winnacunnet High School in Hampton, N.H.
“My work has been devoted to documenting the effects that decisions made by policy-makers have on people at ground level, in the real world, far from the halls of power,” says Nachtwey. “It was a thought-provoking experience to document the grass-roots process by which the chief policymaker in the U.S. is chosen.”
James Nachtwey is a TIME contract photographer, documenting wars, conflicts and critical social issues.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time