When you picture real fast-talkers, do you think of Oregonians? If so, you have correctly predicted the fastest-talking state in the union, according to new research.
The analytics firm Marchex looked at 4 million taped calls to measure things like how fast people talked, how dense their speech was and how long they stayed on hold without hanging up, The Atlantic reports. That resulted in a full ranking of states, from fastest-talking to slowest-talking, with Oregon coming in first and Mississippi coming in last:
8. South Dakota
9. New Hampshire
12. North Dakota
15. Rhode Island
19. New Jersey
20. West Virginia
38. New York
45. New Mexico
46. North Carolina
48. South Carolina
Surprised New Yorkers don’t rank so high at #38? Don’t worry about the Empire State; they’re still motormouths, ranking the highest in density of speech by using the most words per interaction, with Oklahomans using the least.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time