Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders finished with a strong second-place showing in the Iowa caucuses just 0.3% short of frontrunner Hillary Clinton — to the delight of his young, energized supporters.
“Nine months ago, when we came to this beautiful state, we had no political organization, we had no money, we had no name recognition, and we were taking on the most powerful political organization in the United States of America,” he told his audience. “And tonight it looks like we are in a virtual tie.”
Photographer Danny Wilcox Frazier, on assignment for TIME, was in the Iowa Hall of the Holiday Inn at Des Moines’ airport when Sanders came on stage to thank his supporters. Frazier captured the event’s intensity, as fans high-fived and cheered for their candidate. Here are some of his photographs.
Danny Wilcox Frazier is a photographer based in Iowa. He’s represented by VII Photo.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time