South Carolina Senator Tim Scott is set to endorse his fellow Senator Marco Rubio following the Iowa caucuses, a GOP source familiar with the situation said, giving Rubio the backing of a key Republican leader in the state as the race moves past Iowa.
As the only black Republican in the Senate and a popular Senator with high approval ratings, Scott’s endorsement has been widely coveted by Republican presidential contenders, especially in the weeks leading up to the South Carolina primary later this month. News of the endorsement was first reported by Politico.
The move, which broke during the Iowa caucuses, could help Rubio consolidate support from Establishment-friendly Republicans following a likely win in Iowa by either Ted Cruz or Donald Trump. Mainstream GOP leaders hope that the multiple candidates competing in the so-called Establishment late — including Rubio, Jeb Bush, Chris Christie and John Kasich — will winnow after the New Hampshire primary next week.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time