A 13-year-old girl has confessed to concocting claims that she was kidnapped and raped by migrants after her allegations triggered outrage and a diplomatic dispute between Germany and Russia.
The Russian-German girl, who was only named as Lisa, admitted to lying about the alleged rape and abduction, prosecutors said Sunday, according to the Guardian. She was reported missing on Jan. 11 after she failed to show up at school and emerged 30 hours later with injuries on her face, claiming she was attacked in Berlin by men of Middle Eastern or north African appearance, the newspaper said.
The girl’s allegations came after reports of mass sexual assaults allegedly carried out by migrants in Cologne. Her claims prompted Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov to publicly accused German authorities of a “cover-up,” the Telegraph reports.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now