Two top Mafia mobsters were discovered holed up in an armed underground bunker after more than a decade on the run, Italian police said Friday.
Giuseppe Ferraro, a fugitive since 1998, and Giuseppe Crea, who had eluded capture since 2006, were found sleeping in their hideout near Maropati in the southern state of Calabria, Italy’s federal Polizia di Stato said in a statement.
The pair, linked to the Calabria-based ‘Ndrangheta mafia, had a haul of weapons including a machine gun, rifles and pistols.
Ferraro, 47, was sentenced to life in prison in 2009 over more than 20 mafia-linked murders while Crea, 37, has been convicted …
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve