It’s not everyday that an Olympian agrees to participate in your school’s elaborate stunt.
During Thursday night’s men’s basketball game between Arizona State and Oregon State, Michael Phelps became the latest diversion to pop out from behind the Sun Devils’ legendary “Curtain of Distraction.” The 18-time Olympic gold medalist stripped down to a tiny pair of yellow swim trunks and danced as OSU’s Stephen Thompson Jr. missed both of his foul shots with 13:47 left to play.
Arizona State coach Bobby Hurley said Phelps “made a major contribution to the game.”
ASU went on to win the game 86-68.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List