Zayn Malik has wasted no time since he left One Direction
to be a normal 22-year-old to become a solo artist in his own right. On March 25, exactly one year after he first announced his departure from the boy band, Zayn—he’s just Zayn now, no last name—will release his debut solo album, Mind of Mine.
It can’t be a coincidence that the record will drop on the one-year anniversary of the Facebook-post-heard-’round-the-world, but Zayn seems determined to break with his boy-band image. He just released the video for his first single, “Pillowtalk,” and the sultry R&B slow-jam offers a lot of what you wouldn’t find in a One Direction video: naked women, references to Zayn’s sex life, and his girlfriend, Gigi Hadid. Zayn, like male pop stars with a teen past, is in that phase where he wants you to know that he has (loud, neighbor-waking) sex and uses the F-word. But if the rest of the album delivers on the promise of this first taste, we won’t be talking about his 1D ties for much longer.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now