Twitter feuds all around. The day after Kanye West, Wiz Khalifa, and Amber Rose took over Twitter with a highly publicized exchange of insults, J.K. Rowling found herself in a war of words with Glasgow East Parliament member Natalie McGarry.
The feud is pretty densely packed – drawing on themes of misogyny, trolling, and even Scottish independence – but it involves three parties: Rowling, who is well known for opposing Scottish independence; McGarry, a member of Glasgow East Parliament and former activist for the Scottish National Party; and @BrianSpanner1, an anti-Nationalist Twitter account that has been battling McGarry since at least early 2014.
Rowling noticed a tweet that McGarry posted on Thursday, calling out the author for defending “abusive misogynist trolls,” and asked for an explanation.
McGarry responded by simply stating the name “Brian Spanner,” whom McGarry has battled over Scottish independence (their disagreements have escalated into more personal attacks).
The tweet that McGarry referenced is one in which Rowling called @BrianSpanner1 “a good man” in October 2015.
Rowling and McGarry went back and forth for a few tweets as theHarry Potter author demanded evidence that she had ever supported misogyny or abuse, while McGarry claimed Rowling’s positive tweet to @BrianSpanner1 was evidence enough.
Finally, McGarry cited the actual tweet from October 2015. Rowling responded by saying she was praising the account for donating to her charity, Lumos.
However, McGarry then accused Rowling of bullying.
The feud continued in similar fashion…
Finally, the war of words came to an end when McGarry said she had to get on a plane to which Rowling responded, “We’ll have to take this offline.” But instead, the two made up after McGarry apologized … at least for a little while.
McGorry then tweeted a screenshot of the comments in question.
Rowling responded in exasperation:
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World