Donald Trump reposted a fake picture Thursday of FOX News anchor Megyn Kelly during a morning Twitter rant against the network.
The post shows an altered image of Kelly posing with billionaire Saudi Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal and a woman in traditional Islamic garb that is supposedly his sister. The caption on the photo claims the Saudi billionaire is a co-owner of FOX News and ends with the command to “GOOGLE IT!”
Googling the image brings up several reports that the picture and the caption are false. Fact-checking website Politifact notes that though Al-Waleed and FOX News founder Rupert Murdoch have a healthy business relationship, the Saudi only owns 7% of the company. And Snopes debunked the actual photo in August, proving that it was an altered version of a press photo of Kelly—alone.
The Republican frontrunner told TIME last year that he should not be held responsible for the content of his retweets. “There’s a big difference between a tweet and a retweet,” Trump said. “It’s for other people. Let them find out if it’s correct or not.”
Read More: Megyn Kelly Unfazed By Trump Drama
Framing the post is the on-going feud between Trump and FOX News. Things came to a head when Trump announced Tuesday that he would be skipping Thursday’s Republican debate hosted by FOX. Trump first took issue with the host after the first Republican debate, when she quizzed him about his attitude towards women.
Al-Waleed sent a response to Trump on twitter, citing previous investments the Saudi had made in Trump’s business.
This isn’t the first time Al-Waleed criticized Trump. After the American called for a “total and complete” ban on Muslims entering the country, Al-Waleed called on Trump to quit the presidential race.
Trump, asked later Thursday for his opinions on Al-Waleed, said he was not a fan of the prince and had never actually met him. “Don’t know him, just never liked him. Never liked his style,” he said.
— with reporting by Tessa Berenson
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy