A teenager discussed packing a kangaroo with explosives, painting it with the ISIS symbol and setting it loose on police, according to local media reports citing prosecutors.
Sevdet Besim, 19, is accused of plotting a terror attack in Melbourne on Anzac Day — an annual public commemoration of Australia’s war dead.
Besim denied four charges of planning a terrorist act during a court appearance on Thursday, the Melbourne Age newspaper reported.
Prosecutors also accuse Besim of communicating with a teenager overseas, as well as planning to run over and behead a police officer on Anzac Day, it said.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow