Melodie Gliniewicz, 51, was indicted on felony counts of money laundering and disbursing charitable funds without authority for personal benefit, according to USA Today. The Lake County Sheriff’s Office said Gliniewicz and her husband Joseph embezzled money from the Fox Lake Police Department’s Explorer youth charity account.
Gliniewicz is believed to have killed himself because he thought that he was on the verge of being discovered for stealing from the fund. His death resulted in a massive manhunt for his imagined murderers in September along the Illinois-Wisconsin border. Authorities believe that this was an “carefully staged suicide” to fool them into believing that Gliniewicz was killed in the line of duty.
The Sheriff’s Department said that the couple stole thousands to pay for their lifestyle. The pair spent the money over seven years to pay their mortgage, travel to Hawaii, dine out at restaurants, a gym membership and adult websites, according to officials.
Gliniewicz maintained her innocence, with her lawyers releasing a statement deflecting the blame on her husband. “Considering Melodie’s cooperation with law enforcement, she is devastated by the decision to bring charges against her,” wrote the law office of Kelleher & Buckley. “Melodie is a victim of her husband’s secret actions and looks forward to her day in court to show the world her innocence.”
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart