Barbie’s got three new bodies—tall, petite and curvy—which will be sold along with the original form starting Jan. 28. TIME got exclusive access to Mattel’s reimagining of the this iconic doll. The creation of the new Barbies was so secretive that the design team code-named the endeavor “Project Dawn” so even their spouses wouldn’t find out about it. TIME got exclusive access to the inside of Project Dawn and focus groups with moms and kids who were encountering the dolls for the first time.
The new Barbies will be sold online at Barbie.com on January 28 and will be delivered in February. The brand new looks will make their official debut at the New York Toy Fair Feb. 13-16. Mattel has not yet confirmed when retailers like Target and Toys’R’Us will carry the transformed Barbies.
- The Case for Mediocrity
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- Meet the 2023 TIME100 Next: the Emerging Leaders Shaping the World
- Oprah and Arthur C. Brooks: How to Separate Work From Your Identity
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- You Don’t Have to Like Wrestling to Love Netflix’s Excellent Wrestlers
- The Most Anticipated Books, Movies, TV, and Music of Fall 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time