The co-founder of Ben & Jerry’s has been so inspired by Sen. Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign that he’s crafted an ice cream flavor in the Vermont candidate’s honor.
After Ben Cohen’s early ideas about a potential Bernie Sanders flavor gained widespread attention, he decided to actually develop the flavor called “Bernie’s Yearning,” which he’s billing as a “participatory flavor including a graphic description of what’s wrong in our country (in 3D frozen confectionary form).”
The flavor features a chocolate disc covering a pint of plain mint ice cream. The chocolate represents “the huge gains that have gone to the top 1% since the end of the recession.” The mint ice cream represents everyone else—consumers are instructed to break up the chocolate disc at the top and spread it around to the ice cream underneath to create a yummy version of what the Sanders campaign is calling for.
The flavor isn’t an official Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream creation and there are no plans to put it on grocery store shelves anytime soon. Instead, Cohen has made 40 pints of the limited-edition ice cream in his kitchen, and he donated 25 of them to the Sanders campaign. The campaign will give the pints to randomly selected supporters who sign up online.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.