Airbnb can be a really great way to save some money and meet cool people when you’re traveling. But it can also be a hellish way to get your home totally trashed after you’ve rented it out, to accidentally stay in a drug den, or have to share your vacation with a bunch of gross weirdos.
That last scenario is the focus of this new ad from HomeAway, a company that lets you rent an entire house (as opposed to just one room, which is what many Airbnb users do.) The one-minute ad, narrated by Parks and Rec‘s Nick Offerman, really drives home the point that the sharing economy can have its downsides.
The ad focuses primarily on weird, hairy men and all the ways they’ll ruin your vacation if you have to spend time with them. It’s pretty effective.
As the Wall Street Journal points out, the ad never explicitly mentions Airbnb—but the connection feels pretty obvious.
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- How Drag Culture Inspired Ursula
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction