Tyrese Gibson and 50 Cent asked Chris Rock to step down as the Oscars host over social media on Wednesday.
The musicians both posted to Instagram, adding their voices to the disappointment and frustration over the lack of any diversity in the Academy Awards slate of nominated actors.
“Chris please do not do the oscars awards. You mean a lot man, don’t do it. Please,” 50 Cent wrote in his caption of a photo of Rock. Gibson posted a screenshot of articles questioning whether Rock will continue to host amidst the controversy over the Oscars failing to recognize black actors with nominations for two years in a row.
“There is no joke that he can crack. There is no way for him to seize the moment and come into this thing and say, ‘I’m going to say this and say that I’m going to address the issue but then I’m still going to keep my gig as the host,’” Gibson told People. “The statement that you make is that you step down.”
Other prominent Oscar attendees have expressed their disappointment and said they will not attend the ceremony. In response to the outcry, Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs said she is “heartbroken” over the lack of diversity in the group of nominees and pledged to alter the makeup of the Academy membership.
Rock has not responded publicly to the calls. The day after nominees were announced, he posted a commercial promotion for the show to Twitter:
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears