Bernie Sanders stood tough on national security in an ad released Wednesday.
The Vermont senator pledged that “as president, I will defend this nation but I will do it responsibly,” before proposing a coalition-led approach to defeating ISIS. Sanders says that his strategy for eliminating ISIS is based on the country’s experience with the war in Iraq.
“I voted against the war in Iraq and that was the right vote,” Sanders said. “We must never forget the lessons of that experience. ISIS must be destroyed, but we should not do it alone.”
Sander, who often focuses on economic inequality, is trying to pitch himself as the Democratic candidate who can win it all in November. To do that, he will have to convince voters that his foreign policy chops are up to par with former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com