Yesterday was a very bad day for Ted Cruz, and today Donald Trump continued to pile the misery on the Texas Senator.
Speaking at a rally in Norwalk, Iowa Wednesday morning, Trump went on an extended riff against Cruz, hitting him on being born in Canada and failing to disclose a Goldman Sachs loan during his first Senate campaign.
“What’s he going to do, be rough on Goldman Sachs when he’s got a personal guarantee for like whatever the number was, a million dollars?” Trump said of Cruz’s undisclosed loan. “So I think you gotta think about that. .. And he said with the being a Canadian citizen he said, ‘Oh I didn’t know that.’ How did he not know that? Then he said with the loans, ‘Oh, I didn’t know that.’
Trump then leveled a harsh criticism at Cruz before a Republican audience: He compared him unfavorably to Democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton: “Smart guy, he doesn’t know that? Yeah, that’s worse than Hillary when you think about it.”
Earlier in the primary season, Cruz and Trump had been nice to each other, but the “bromance” ended when the two became closer in the polls.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating