A volunteer for Ben Carson’s campaign has died after a car crash Tuesday afternoon in Iowa.
25-year-old Braden Joplin and three other people working for Carson hit an icy patch of road near Atlantic, Iowa earlier Tuesday, flipping their van and then getting hit by another vehicle, the campaign said in a statement earlier Tuesday. According to a statement from Nebraska Medicine news release send out by the Carson campaign, Joplin died at around 4:30 p.m. local time.
Joplin was brought to Nebraska Medical Center in critical condition, while the other three people were treated and released from a hospital in Atlantic. Carson suspended his campaign events for the day.
Carson will meet with Joplin’s family when he arrives in Omaha Tuesday evening.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart