Roy Riffe, 86, fell on the ground after his wheelchair rolled off the path near their house about 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, local news outlet 13 WMAZ reports. He said he yelled for his wife’s help when he could not get up. Maria Riffe, 74, fell on the walkway while trying to reach her husband. The couple was found the next morning around 10:30 in their yard about 20 yards apart from one another. Maria had died while Roy was still turned over in his wheelchair.
The Putnam County Sheriff’s said the husband was wearing a winter coat and fleece pants, which protected him from the cold. The wife was only wearing a house jacket and froze to death.
Roy Riffe was recovering in the hospital Thursday.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart