Stephen Colbert would like the American people to ask Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders to prom.
“Let me go on record, you’ve got a scoop, you ready for this? I do not own a tuxedo. Never have I worn a tuxedo,” Sanders said in the interview.
Colbert took this to mean the Vermonter never went to prom in high school.
“Who’s more obsessed with inequality than an unpopular high school student?” Colbert said.
He invited viewers to ask the Senator to prom, providing them with a photoshopped image of Sanders to use when they pop the question.
“The theme of the prom, of course: enchantment under our unfair financial system,” Colbert said.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Katie Reilly at Katie.Reilly@time.com