The death toll of the Jan. 14 Jakarta assault rose to eight — comprising four civilians and four attackers — Indonesian police said on Sunday. Previous accounts reported two civilian and five militant causalities.
The revision came after victim Rais Karna, 37, succumbed to gunshot wounds to his head on Saturday, and police correctly identified a fourth deceased civilian previously thought to be an attacker, Agence France-Presse reported.
Terrorist organization the Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria claimed responsibility for the bomb and gun raid that rocked Indonesia’s capital. As of Saturday, police had arrested 12 suspects across the country, home to the world’s largest Muslim population.
Indonesian President Joko Widodo took to Twitter on Saturday to warn citizens to increase their “vigilance because terrorists are not yet eradicated. Take care of and protect your families from the influence of terrorists’ ideology.”
— With reporting by Yenni Kwok
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up