The Republican candidates traded barbs at the debate Thursday night, but there was one person they all ganged up on: Hillary Clinton.
Bashing Clinton while still in the primary season has long been a tactic of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie at debates, and Donald Trump has been targeting her more during his rallies, but Thursday night the other candidates joined in. With less than 20 days until the Feb. 1 Iowa caucuses, it shows that whichever of the seven candidates on the main stage wins the primary, it’s going to be a bruising fight in the general.
“If I’m the nominee, she won’t get within 10 miles of the White House,” Christie said of the former Secretary of State. He also continually tied her to President Obama as complicit the current situation in the Middle East. “If you are going to leave this to Hilary Clinton, the person who gave us this foreign policy, the architect of it… Hillary Clinton cannot be president, it will lead to even greater war in this world,” he said.
“In her first 100 days… She might be going back and forth between the White House and the court house. We need to stop that,” said former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, later saying that “everybody on this stage is better than Hillary Clinton.”
“Hillary Clinton is disqualified from being Commander in Chief of the United States,” said Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, saying she couldn’t handle “sensitive intelligence information” and “lied” to family members of Benghazi victims.
Retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson was asked whether it was fair to attack Clinton on her husband’s sexual history, and he said it was fair to examine any past president’s record, whether he was married to a current candidate or not.
Clinton had some words of her own for the candidates, tweeting during the debate:
- Zero-COVID Protests in China Have Rattled Global Markets
- Column: Diversity Initiatives Are Failing the U.S. Muslim Community
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022