Years-old surveillance footage released Thursday shows Chicago police fatally shooting 17-year-old Cedrick Chatman as he runs away.
Video of the Jan. 2013 incident depicts Chatman dashing from a car at an intersection and disappearing from the camera’s view as Officer Kevin Fry opens fire. When the camera pans to the right, Chatman is seen on the ground. Another grainy surveillance video also released Thursday shows Chatman running and then suddenly falling to the ground.
Chatman was suspected of car theft, police said. Fry told Chicago’s Independent Police Review authority that he believed that Chatman was carrying a handgun, but evidence from the scene later showed that Chatman had been holding a black iPhone box.
Chicago officials asked U.S. District Judge Robert Gettleman to lift the protective order on the video after months of opposing its release, according to the Washington Post.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time