Rey will be featured in a new wave of Star Wars: The Force Awakens toys after backlash from fans at her earlier absence in tie-in toys and merchandise, officials said Tuesday.
The scavenger hero, played by Daisy Ridley, will be represented in toys that will hit store shelves this month, Entertainment Weekly reports. It comes after she was left out of a few products, including Target’s collection of figures and The Force Awakens Monopoly game. The backlash led to a campaign appropriately called “Where’s Rey?”
“This new wave of product has got key elements from the film. You see Rey with a saber, her blaster, and a number of other elements we wanted to hold back until the film had been released,” Paul Southern, head of Lucasfilm licensing, told EW. “The timing is good to try to address some of the social discussion that has been created through the ‘Where’s Rey?’ movement.”
Star Wars Director J.J. Abrams had also chimed in among fan outcry, saying it “seems preposterous and wrong that the main character of the movie is not well represented.” Hasbro has also since announced it would be adding her in an updated version of the Monopoly game.
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now