The world is mourning the death of legendary musician David Bowie, who died Sunday after an 18-month battle with cancer, two days after his 69th birthday. Since the news was posted on his verified Facebook and Twitter accounts, tributes to the legendary British rockstar have been pouring in from across the globe.
Read More: David Bowie, Legendary Rock Artist, Dead at 69
Here are a few of the most heart-stirring musical eulogies attributed to the Starman.
The bells at Dom Tower:
Dom Tower, a 634-year-old church tower in the Netherlands, played a cover of Bowie’s 1969 classic “Space Oddity” on Monday using its bell system. A video of the rendition was posted to Facebook by Marchal Molenaar, where it has been viewed over 800,000 times.
Kelvingrove Museum’s organ recital:
A clip of organist Christopher Nickol’s heartfelt performance of Bowie’s 1971 hit “Life on Mars” at Glasgow’s Kelvingrove Museum during Monday’s regular lunchtime organ recital has gone viral. It was shared on Facebook by Gordon Wilson and has been viewed nearly 2 million times.
Jordan Rudess’s acoustic ode:
Dream Theater keyboardist Jordan Rudess recorded himself playing a stirring version of “Space Oddity” on his piano on Monday after hearing the news of Bowie’s death. The two musicians had previously worked together when Rudess guested on one of Bowie’s albums.
“Here is my musical tribute to the iconic David Bowie, who, thanks to my friend Tony Visconti, I had the great experience to work with back in 2002 on the ‘Heathen’ album,” Rudess wrote. “Here is his classic song, ‘Space Oddity,’ played in my home just this morning after hearing the very sad news.”
The Late Show’s farewell song:
On Monday night’s episode of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, musical guest El Vy teamed up with the show’s house band Stay Human to honor the Thin White Duke. The groups performed Bowie’s 1983 “Let’s Dance” to loud applause from the audience.
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement