Spotify wants you to know exactly what songs’ lyrics mean as you’re listening to them.
The music streaming service announced Tuesday that it’s working with annotations site Genius to launch a new type of playlist called “Behind the Lyrics,” which aims to give listeners insight behind a song’s words. It’s launching Tuesday on Spotify’s iPhone app.
The first playlist will focus on hip hop, featuring tracks from Pusha T, Tinashe, and Diplo. Genius will use its library of song lyrics and musical knowledge to pull up lyric excerpts, fun facts, and annotations coming from the artists themselves and the Genius community during playback.
The second Genius-powered playlist will be called “Behind the Lyrics (HITS),” which will debut in the coming week.
Spotify hasn’t said when the new playlist style will be available for other platforms.
The idea of providing a window into an artists life behind the scenes isn’t new, but it’s becoming more common in music services. Apple, for instance, offers a feature called Connect, essentially a feed of updates from the artists users follow.
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now