Spotify wants you to know exactly what songs’ lyrics mean as you’re listening to them.
The music streaming service announced Tuesday that it’s working with annotations site Genius to launch a new type of playlist called “Behind the Lyrics,” which aims to give listeners insight behind a song’s words. It’s launching Tuesday on Spotify’s iPhone app.
The first playlist will focus on hip hop, featuring tracks from Pusha T, Tinashe, and Diplo. Genius will use its library of song lyrics and musical knowledge to pull up lyric excerpts, fun facts, and annotations coming from the artists themselves and the Genius community during playback.
The second Genius-powered playlist will be called “Behind the Lyrics (HITS),” which will debut in the coming week.
Spotify hasn’t said when the new playlist style will be available for other platforms.
The idea of providing a window into an artists life behind the scenes isn’t new, but it’s becoming more common in music services. Apple, for instance, offers a feature called Connect, essentially a feed of updates from the artists users follow.
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022