Dan Auerbach and his band The Arcs were so moved by Netflix docu-series Making a Murderer that they recorded a protest song about it.
The Black Keys vocalist and guitarist and his band wrote “Lake Superior” following “a few sleepless nights” after they saw the show, which The Arcs described as a “sneak peek at what goes on behind the curtains of our criminal justice system” in a statement on the song’s SoundCloud page. Making a Murderer tells the story of Wisconsin native Steven Avery’s exoneration on sexual assault charges after spending 18 years in prison, his subsequent murder conviction and his battles with the legal system.
“It’s like Billy Childish says, ‘We live in troubled times’,” The Arcs said in the post.
All proceeds from the song will go towards The Innocence Project, a nonprofit that helps exonerate wrongfully convicted people through DNA testing.
Listen to the song here:
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now