As Neeson, 63, talked about his wedding song, Van Morrison’s “Crazy Love,” he revealed a little known fact – the actress serenaded him at their wedding in Northern Ireland.
“Behind my back Natasha had been taking singing lessons to sing it to me,” he told host, John Benjamin during My Favorite Song.”After the ceremony we were all going out to start the night’s festivities and she grabbed the microphone and she sang me this.
“She had learned it and I was like ‘Wow!'”
The couple married in 1994 and remained together until Richardson’s tragic death in 2009.
A brokenhearted Neeson remained quiet about her death – caused by a head injury the 45-year-old suffered during a skiing accident – for five years, finally opening up about his wife in 2014 in an episode of 60 minutes.
“I spoke to her and she said, ‘Oh darling. I’ve taken a tumble in the snow. That’s how she described it,” he told Anderson Cooper at the time.
After having his flight diverted to Montreal, where Richardson was in the hospital, a doctor explained to Neeson, after showing him his wife’s X-rays, that she was brain dead, but on life support.
Neeson remembered the “pact” the two had made, which said that if either went into a vegetative state the other would take them off life support.
“I went in to her and told her I loved her. Said, ‘Sweetie, you’re not coming back from this,” he recalled. “You’ve banged your head. It’s – I don’t know if you can hear me, but that’s – this is what’s gone down. And we’re bringing ya back to New York. All your family and friends will come.”
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out