Leonardo DiCaprio has inhabited many characters in his 25-year career as an actor, but his turn as a fur trapper in Alejandro González Iñárritu‘s The Revenant is the first role that required him to inhabit a dead animal carcass. And eat bison liver. And swim in frozen Canadian rivers at the height of winter. It was a brutal filming experience which yielded a similarly brutal film, and over the coming months we’ll learn whether it was enough to earn the actor his first Academy Award. But although it may have been his most physically taxing role, it’s just one of a career’s worth—or really, half a career’s worth—of memorable characters. As The Revenant opens nationwide on Jan. 8, here’s a look back at DiCaprio’s most memorable performances at the movies.
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List
- Despite World Cup Heartbreak, the Future Looks Bright for Men's Soccer in the U.S.