Star Wars: The Force Awakens shattered yet another record on Wednesday when it became the highest grossing domestic film of all-time, Disney said, but it hasn’t broken any overseas records yet.
The seventh installment in the iconic sci-fi series surpassed the $760.5 million mark previously set by Avatar in a record-breaking 20 days of release, according to early box office numbers. It has become the top-earning film of all time in North America, Disney said. The blockbuster also crossed its $800 million mark at the international box office on Wednesday, according to the company.
Within two weeks, The Force Awakens set several records, including biggest all-time and December debut which lead to the biggest overall movie-going weekend of all time, Disney said. It is also the fastest film to reach $700 million, which took 16 days, and broke opening day box office records, domestic and worldwide.
The Force Awakens has also earned the highest domestic second and third weekend ever, set a new domestic record for the biggest Christmas Day and New Year’s Day box office haul with $34.5 million, and became IMAX’s second highest-grossing movie ever.
Records yet to be broken
The Force Awakens is currently the fourth highest-grossing global movie of all time, behind Jurassic World, Titanic and Avatar, which sits at the top. The movie could potentially unseat Avatar if it performs well in China, where it is set to debut on Saturday. It could also become China’s highest-earning movie, but that chance is slim because the franchise is not well-known there, according to Bloomberg Business. Furious 7 holds the record for the biggest international movie in China with $391.4 million in ticket sales, Bloomberg reports.
The Force Awakens has also yet to break adjusted for inflation records. It is No. 21 on the list after raking in $700 million and will only enter the top 10 when it grosses more than $909 million, according to Deadline.com.
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022