“I regret it every day, but it was the right decision for my family and for me,” Biden told NBC Connecticut. “And I plan on staying deeply involved.”
Biden decided not to join the race in the wake of the death of his son, Beau Biden. His protracted decision-making fueled intense speculation about his potential candidacy throughout the summer and into the fall of last year.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Julia Zorthian at firstname.lastname@example.org