Dale Bumpers, 90, former Democratic governor and Senator from Arkansas. Shortly after retiring from the Senate, he returned to defend then President Bill Clinton with a powerful closing argument during his impeachment trial.
Vilmos Zsigmond, 85, cinematographer behind such classics as The Deer Hunter, The Black Dahlia and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, for which he won an Academy Award. His career included collaborations with Martin Scorsese and Woody Allen.
This appears in the January 18, 2016 issue of TIME.
- The Real Reason Florida Wants to Ban AP African-American Studies, According to an Architect of the Course
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Here Are All the Movies and TV Shows That Make Up the New DCU
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year
- Brazil Wants to Abandon a 34,000-Ton Ship at Sea. It Would be an Environmental Disaster
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in January 2023