In terms of social media dominance, Katy Perry is no dark horse; she’s the frontrunner.
The 31-year-old pop star, already the most-followed Twitter user, passed 80 million followers. 80 million! That’s about as many digital singles Perry has sold.
Hot on her tail is the user whom Perry initially overcame in 2013: Justin Bieber, sitting at almost 73 million Beliebers. Taylor Swift and her nearly 69 million Swiftie followers rest in third place. Perry bested Swift in another field last year as the highest-paid woman in music.
In almost seven years on Twitter, what was Perry’s most popular tweet, according to amount of retweets? This enthusiastic reveal of One Direction fanaticism. (For the record, 1D did indeed perform at the 2012 show.)
Perry’s fourth full-length studio album is expected this year.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time