In terms of social media dominance, Katy Perry is no dark horse; she’s the frontrunner.
The 31-year-old pop star, already the most-followed Twitter user, passed 80 million followers. 80 million! That’s about as many digital singles Perry has sold.
Hot on her tail is the user whom Perry initially overcame in 2013: Justin Bieber, sitting at almost 73 million Beliebers. Taylor Swift and her nearly 69 million Swiftie followers rest in third place. Perry bested Swift in another field last year as the highest-paid woman in music.
In almost seven years on Twitter, what was Perry’s most popular tweet, according to amount of retweets? This enthusiastic reveal of One Direction fanaticism. (For the record, 1D did indeed perform at the 2012 show.)
Perry’s fourth full-length studio album is expected this year.
- Governor Gretchen Whitmer on Her Fight for Abortion Access in Michigan
- Inside the War on Fake Consumer Reviews
- Column: Europe's Refugee Crisis Is Going to Get Worse
- How Lawmakers Are Trying to Protect Abortion Data Privacy
- The Surprising Thing That Could Help Ease Inflation
- Finding the American Dream in Canada
- The Safest Sunscreens to Buy—and Which Ingredients to Avoid
- Fact-Checking 8 Claims About Crypto’s Climate Impact
- How Grief Upsets Your Gut Health
- Who Could Replace Boris Johnson As U.K. Prime Minister?