In terms of social media dominance, Katy Perry is no dark horse; she’s the frontrunner.
The 31-year-old pop star, already the most-followed Twitter user, passed 80 million followers. 80 million! That’s about as many digital singles Perry has sold.
Hot on her tail is the user whom Perry initially overcame in 2013: Justin Bieber, sitting at almost 73 million Beliebers. Taylor Swift and her nearly 69 million Swiftie followers rest in third place. Perry bested Swift in another field last year as the highest-paid woman in music.
In almost seven years on Twitter, what was Perry’s most popular tweet, according to amount of retweets? This enthusiastic reveal of One Direction fanaticism. (For the record, 1D did indeed perform at the 2012 show.)
Perry’s fourth full-length studio album is expected this year.
- Zero-COVID Protests in China Have Rattled Global Markets
- Column: Diversity Initiatives Are Failing the U.S. Muslim Community
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022