Here’s one way to recover from a humiliation like having your Miss Universe crown taken away from you moments after it was awarded: have a laugh about it.
The Peoples Choice Awards’ on Wednesday spoofed last month’s Miss Universe Pageant fail, where host Steve Harvey mistakenly crowned Miss Colombia aka Ariadna Gutierrez the winner of the competition before admitting he crowned the wrong winner.
The awards show’s host, Jane Lynch, pretended to hand out a special Peoples’ Choice Award to a deserving entertainer who had yet to win one. She awarded the trophy to Thomas Lennon from The Odd Couple but interrupted his acceptance speech to say he was actually the first runner-up before bringing out a Miss Colombia lookalike on stage.
“I just read the card wrong,” Lynch joked.
Update: The original version of this story said that Gutierrez participated in the skit. In a statement on Twitter, she thanked the PCAs for the “surprise” tribute. A representative from CBS has not return a request for comment.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time