Here’s one way to recover from a humiliation like having your Miss Universe crown taken away from you moments after it was awarded: have a laugh about it.
The Peoples Choice Awards’ on Wednesday spoofed last month’s Miss Universe Pageant fail, where host Steve Harvey mistakenly crowned Miss Colombia aka Ariadna Gutierrez the winner of the competition before admitting he crowned the wrong winner.
The awards show’s host, Jane Lynch, pretended to hand out a special Peoples’ Choice Award to a deserving entertainer who had yet to win one. She awarded the trophy to Thomas Lennon from The Odd Couple but interrupted his acceptance speech to say he was actually the first runner-up before bringing out a Miss Colombia lookalike on stage.
“I just read the card wrong,” Lynch joked.
Update: The original version of this story said that Gutierrez participated in the skit. In a statement on Twitter, she thanked the PCAs for the “surprise” tribute. A representative from CBS has not return a request for comment.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now