Here’s one way to recover from a humiliation like having your Miss Universe crown taken away from you moments after it was awarded: have a laugh about it.
The Peoples Choice Awards’ on Wednesday spoofed last month’s Miss Universe Pageant fail, where host Steve Harvey mistakenly crowned Miss Colombia aka Ariadna Gutierrez the winner of the competition before admitting he crowned the wrong winner.
The awards show’s host, Jane Lynch, pretended to hand out a special Peoples’ Choice Award to a deserving entertainer who had yet to win one. She awarded the trophy to Thomas Lennon from The Odd Couple but interrupted his acceptance speech to say he was actually the first runner-up before bringing out a Miss Colombia lookalike on stage.
“I just read the card wrong,” Lynch joked.
Update: The original version of this story said that Gutierrez participated in the skit. In a statement on Twitter, she thanked the PCAs for the “surprise” tribute. A representative from CBS has not return a request for comment.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out