The top international cricketer who propositioned a reporter during a live TV interview may have apologized, but that did not stop him from appearing to mock the $7,200 fine he received for his sexist comments.
“Pockets are empty,” Jamaican-born sports star Chris Gayle wrote in an Instagram post with fellow West Indies cricketer Dwayne Bravo on Tuesday. “[Bravo] paying the dinner bill tonight.” In the picture, Gayle also wore — none too subtly — a T-shirt bearing the slogan “$EXSELL$.”
The controversy unfolded on Monday when Gayle interrupted an Australian league match interview with Ten Network presenter Mel McLaughlin to tell her: “To see your eyes for the first time is nice. Hopefully we can win this game and have a drink after.” He added, as she grew visibly uncomfortable, “Don’t blush baby.”
Later that day, the onetime West Indies captain dismissed his on-air remarks as harmless, telling reporters, “There wasn’t anything meant to be disrespectful or offensive to Mel. If she felt that way, I’m really sorry for that.”
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time