Steve Harvey has talked to a lot of people about what went wrong during last month’s Miss Universe Pageant, where he accidentally announced the wrong winner and later forced Miss Colombia (Ariadna Gutierrez) to give the crown over to Miss Philippines (Pia Wurtzbach).
But he hasn’t heard from Gutierrez herself, because she won’t return his request to speak with her.
The TV host broke the news of his failed attempt to reach out to Gutierrez on Monday’s Steve Harvey Morning Show, Us Weekly reports.
“When I did it, it was horrible for Miss Colombia,” he explained. “And she’s the only one I haven’t had a chance to talk to. I’ve had a chance to talk to Miss Philippines. I’ve talked to all the pageant people. I’ve talked to people backstage. Even me and the director had a long talk. But I haven’t been able to reach out and talk to Miss Colombia. Now, have I tried? Yes. But haven’t gotten a response.”
Harvey also shed light on how the mistake happened in the first place, saying he read the name on the card thinking it was the winner, even though the card actually said the Gutierrez was the first runner-up.
“Did I make a mistake? Yes I did, wholeheartedly,” Harvey said. “And at this point in the game, I’m not in the finger-pointing business and rolling people under the bus. So, I did what I was trained to do by my father … You make a mistake and you own up to it. And I tried to fix it, I tried to fix it right there.”
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World