A New Year’s Eve dispute over a washing machine left four dead after authorities say a man killed his wife and two other people before being fatally shot by his son.
According to the Associated Press, Los Angeles Police Department officials say that a 54-year-old man in Rowland Heights, Calif., shot his wife, his son’s girlfriend, and a man visiting their home after a disagreement between the father and his son’s girlfriend over using a washing machine.
The alleged shooter, who was described as a heavy drinker with a sizable gun collection, was then shot and killed by his son, who was able to take the gun away from his father. The son is now being held on $1 million bail on suspicion of murder.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now