A top cricket star in Bangladesh and his wife were charged by police on Tuesday with torturing an 11-year-old girl whom they had reportedly employed as a domestic helper.
Shahadat Hossain and Jasmine Jahan Nritto Shahadat could face up to 14 years in jail if convicted, the BBC reports.
The couple are currently out on bail after Hossain turned himself in on Oct. 5. He had reported the girl missing exactly a month earlier, hours before she was found on the streets of the Bangladeshi capital Dhaka with multiple serious injuries — including a black eye and a broken leg — that she alleges were inflicted by Hossain and his wife.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Rishi Iyengar at firstname.lastname@example.org