A star was born at the Souderton High School Teacher’s Karaoke in Pennsylvania on Tuesday.
Becky Alderfer, 52, a cafeteria worker at the school, stepped up to the mic at the lunchtime fundraiser for the school’s United Nations Club. When she belted the first high note of her song choice, “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,” the chattering cafeteria quieted down and paid attention, NBC reports.
“I think it surprised them that the lunch lady started singing,” Alderfer said. “I thought [the song] had a nice message and I felt like I knew it well enough that I could get through it.”
Alderfer’s musical abilities haven’t exactly been untapped; she’s served as the musical director for a church in the area for more than 30 years. Though students may not have known about her singing background, Alderfer’s colleagues were aware and convinced her to take part in the fundraiser.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow