A star was born at the Souderton High School Teacher’s Karaoke in Pennsylvania on Tuesday.
Becky Alderfer, 52, a cafeteria worker at the school, stepped up to the mic at the lunchtime fundraiser for the school’s United Nations Club. When she belted the first high note of her song choice, “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,” the chattering cafeteria quieted down and paid attention, NBC reports.
“I think it surprised them that the lunch lady started singing,” Alderfer said. “I thought [the song] had a nice message and I felt like I knew it well enough that I could get through it.”
Alderfer’s musical abilities haven’t exactly been untapped; she’s served as the musical director for a church in the area for more than 30 years. Though students may not have known about her singing background, Alderfer’s colleagues were aware and convinced her to take part in the fundraiser.
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction