Sen. Ted Cruz launched an “emergency” appeal seeking to raise $1 million in 24 hours in response to a Washington Post online editorial cartoon depicting his two young daughters as dancing monkeys.
The Republican presidential candidate also criticized the paper for its “tasteless attack” on his children.
“My daughters are not FAIR GAME,” he wrote in a fundraising email sent late Tuesday. “I’m sickened … I knew I’d be facing attacks from day one of my campaign, but I never expected anything like this.”
Cruz accused the “liberal media” of attempting to “attack and destroy me (and my family) by any means necessary.”
Read the rest of the story from our partners at NBC News
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now