The husband of a prominent Indian artist under scrutiny for her murder was arrested in Mumbai early Tuesday after a lengthy overnight interrogation, police said.
Chintan Upadhyay was placed under arrest at 3:30 a.m. local time after being detained Monday night for questioning on the murder of his wife, Indian broadcaster NDTV reported.
Hema Upadhyay, a 42-year-old artist from Mumbai, was found dead last week along with her lawyer Harish Bhambhani in a storm drain in the city. A man from northern India confessed to killing the duo along with four others, all of whom have been arrested.
Upadhyay’s estranged husband, a well-known artist in his own right, was being monitored by police for reported links to the double murder.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Rishi Iyengar at email@example.com